It's almost 2014 and I'm feeling self-indulgent (typical). I like pop culture, I like lists, I like recommending things, and I like pretending my opinions are more valuable than anyone else's. So here is a list of my favorite pop culturey things from 2013. Maybe soon they will be your favorite things, too!
Favorite Movies of 2013
- 12 Years a Slave
- Tie: Frances Ha and Inside Llewyn Davis (the "you'll never make it as an artist" double feature)
- Stories We Tell
- Computer Chess
Non-2013 Movies Watched in 2013
- Mulholland Drive
- A Separation
- Certified Copy
- King Lear (RSC/Ian McKellen version)
- Passing Strange
2013 TV Dramas
- Breaking Bad
- Mad Men (yeah i said it)
- Orange Is the New Black
- Tie: Broadchurch and Les Revenants (the "non-American season-long mystery set near a body of water" double feature)
Runners up in no order: Top of the Lake (the other season-long mystery set near a body of water -- h/t Alan Sepinwall), Orphan Black, The Americans
By the way, The Americans had the best opening theme of the year:
Les Revenants had the second-best opening of the year (Mogwai!):
2013 TV, Comedy Edition
- 30 Rock if its last few episodes in January count
- Adventure Time
- Moone Boy (the whole thing's free on Hulu. watch iiiiiit)
- Parks & Rec
Runners up: Please Like Me, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Sunny, Childrens Hospital
Best TV Episodes
- Mad Men, "The Crash"
- Breaking Bad, "Ozymandias" (and every other episode)
- Adventure Time, "Simon & Marcy"
- 30 Rock, "A Goon's Deed In A Weary World"
- Broadchurch, "Episode Five"
Runners up: Richard II (The Hollow Crown), "Coming And Going" (Childrens Hospital), the Game of Thrones episode you're thinking about right now, the Futurama finale
Non-2013 TV Watched in 2013
- Twin Peaks (those crappy episodes never happened)
- The Sopranos
- Slings & Arrows
- Peep Show
I'm leaving off books because, meh, too difficult. You can listen to my Favorite Music of 2013 (unordered) on this Spotify playlist. Now go forth and pop culture.